Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Today we had a long and busy day at CCLS-Uganda in Kawete.  We were warmly greeted again by the students, teachers and parents.  I went to work quickly at the medical clinic.  I started with the children in the 6th and 7th grade.  The 7th grade is called P7 for Primary School Year 7.  They have final exams in 3 weeks.  Most of the children are 12 to 16 years old.  Some of them live at the school during the school week in a converted multipurpose room.  They had mainly minor issues although I could have used a dentist on a couple of them.  I am going to leave some money behind for their dental care (a filling costs about $18).  I treated them for malaria, parasites, allergies, sore throats, sinus infections, eczema and fungal infections of the scalp and body (Ringworm).  I also handed out a lot of toothbrushes and toothpaste (donated by my brother Kevin Killian DDS-dentist in St. Peters, MO).  We were fed lunch again.  It was the same as yesterday (potatoes, chicken, beef, rice, turnip greens, beans).  It was filling and tasty.  It is not real spicy in case you were wondering.  I continued seeing patients til just after sunset.  I was there until I saw the lights of the school come on.  They have inside and outside lights now.  They are powered by a battery that is charged during the day by solar panels.  They work pretty good.  You can see well enough to study at night which is important for the P7 children with upcoming exams.  The children and their parents are very thankful again for all we do for them.  They are such beautiful people.  I will post again.



No comments:

Post a Comment