Sunday, October 14, 2012

Today was a great day in Uganda!  After a good night of sleep, I ate breakfast and then we headed to Kawete.  It was exciting to be there again.  We went to the Sunday church service.  It was full of singing, praying and a total of 4 baptisms and 5 confirmations.  Pastor Schaser gave a great sermon on how we are all one in the family of God.  After church I set up the medical clinic in one of the classrooms.  This will be my office for the next 4 days.  I saw about 20 patients between 2 and 6 PM.  6 were adults and the rest children.  The most difficult was a boy with Sicle Cell Anemia.  I talked to them about how to help him.  We gave him a supply of daily Multivitamins, Folic Acid and daily Amoxicillin to prevent infection.  Unfortunately, we can't give him emergency (IV fluids or blood transfusions) or pain control when he has sickle cell crisis.  The vitamins and Folic acid help him to build new red blood cells.  I saw a couple cases of presumed malaria. I say presumed because the exam does not show other cause for fever and I can't test for it like we do for Strep Throat in the USA.  There is a rapid test but it is very expensive ($25 each).  I expect to be busy tomorrow but I am looking forward to seeing the children of Kawete!  I am posting some photos from the clinic today.  One is of a girl named Zitunia.  Her family is very poor.  She has hardly any clothes.  I was able to give her 2 skirts and a new shirt which my niece, Danielle Burns, gave to me to deliver.  Zitunia was overwhelmed with happiness!  She ran out of the clinic to try the skirt on and loved it so much she left it on as you can see in the picture.  It was great to be a part of that today!
                                            It is no fun to have malaria!
                                            Talkimg to his mother about his medicine


                                                Zitunia with her new outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment